Rocco brought home 2 boxes of mangos a week ago. I always ask him to try to big us home mangos or other fresh produce he can get his hands on. A nice perk for being married to the man who sells boxes to produce companies! I figured he'd bring home a handful of mangos, but he brought home 2 boxes and most of them were already ripe. Now, I don't know about you, but there is only so many things you can do with mangos. I made mango salsa for fish, a salad with chicken, mango and avocado and have eaten a mango everyday. BUT I found a recipe for Mango Bread in the La Pinata cookbook(from the McAllen Junior League) that is fantastic and I put my own healthy twist on it. If you know me, you know I would try and make it healthy! The best part is Rocco has no clue that I made it "healthy" and he absolutely LOVES it!
Mango Bread

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 cups splenda
1 cup applesauce (in place of oil)
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup raisins
2 cups fresh or canned mangos, chopped
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a loaf pan.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl.
3. In another bowl using a mixer, mix the applesauce, eggs and vanilla. Then add the flour mixture and combine until smooth.
4. Stir in the mangos and raisins.
5. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
*Place foil over the bread if it starts to brown too quickly.
*If you are going to double the recipe, use only 1 cup applesauce.
Enjoy! Let me know how you like it if you try it out!.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.